Have some fun in the kitchen and make your own pH indicator solution. Red cabbage juice make a natural pH indicator that changes colors according to the acidity of the solution. Red cabbage juice indicators are easy to make and can be used to make your own pH paper strips too.
This activity needs adult supervision
- Red Cabbage
- Lemon Juice
- Bicarb soda
- Window cleaner
- Jars or clear containers
Watch this video to find out more
- boil water in large saucepan
- cut up the red cabbage
- add red cabbage to boiling water
- boil for 10 minutes
- stain and cool
- poor red cabbage juice into jug
- set up jars or clear glasses and half fill with lemon juice, vinegar, water, bicarb soda and soapy water
- add red cabbage juice into each glass and watch the colour change.
- use the indicator chart to determine the pH
You can also make pH strips
You will need filter paper or coffee filters to make the pH strips. Soak a filter paper or coffee filter in this red cabbage liquid. Let it to dry and then cut the paper into strips. You can now use the cabbage pH paper to tell if something is an acid, a base, or neutral.